Self-Evaluation

Self-Evaluation

Term 1 Chelsea First 1

Title: Evaluation Statement of SPY

Time: From 15th Oct. 2017 – 13th Nov. 2017 (5 weeks)

Edward (Hongyi) JIA

ID: JIA16500432

Date: 14th Oct. 2017

I finished this project on 13-11-2017, which I have acquired a great number of knowledge and skills.

I made a self-evaluation and I would like to discuss this project and analysis how I can do better in the future.

SPY
100cm * 200cm
oil painting and acrylic
13-11-2017
Part 1 (SPY)
100CM * 100cm
oil painting and acrylic
13-11-2017
Part 2 (SPY)
100cm * 100cm
oli painting and acrylic
13-11-2017

Section 1: Research Methods

As time goes on, I have finished my own project. In this project, I have acquired a great number of knowledge and methods, which encouraged me to convey my own ideas through the materials, online, museums, galleries, books, landscapes, daily life, advance from tutor and even studio crits. As matter of fact, when I took bus from Chelsea to the London Bridge, I saw outside through the windows on bus which inspired me to found this idea. Sometimes, I fall in love with the museums and galleries especially Tate and Imperial War Museum which gave me a great place to helped me build research in this project. I made some research for Richard Whiteread, Dali, David Hockney, and Spencer Finch, which imaged me to developed my own works and help me to developed my project. Not only made some research for artists and their works but also, I made some research for subject chosen, colour composition.

(World count: 202)

A Bigger Splash 1967 David Hockney born 1937 Purchased 1981

Mountain Lake 1938 Salvador Dal? 1904-1989 Purchased 1975

Untitled (Stairs) 2001 Rachel Whiteread

Taking photo for research
in IWM

Section 2: Ideas and concepts

My idea was from spy when I saw landscape in the central London on the bus through the window. Many people believe that people can remember the things they like better, yet the truth is, the power of negative things always get the better of us. In my point of view, I think people are working for secret war who are poor men and even to be a hero from background. Every time, when I hear about the story about spy that always give me a kind of sad motion. I wanted to used my style to create works and inspired other people to understand the unsung heroes who belongs to their own country, so it was the reason why I created this work.

I would like use different, unrelated things together and rebuild lines by my own logical. In this project, when I saw the landscape on the bus, I found some things that I thought it could be communicated, such as plants, CCTV camera, traffic lights, and shapes of streets. I used them to rebuild an environment to stand for the emotion by spy’s emotion. To be honest, spies are human too, same to us, because of those element of work, so they cannot have their own emotion, they maybe want to have a quiet life, sweet family, even living in safe, such as those plant in most of people’s home. However, they cannot, as we know they just have a single ticket, sometimes, they need to keep watch on somebody, but they maybe have already scouted by others, like CCTV, traffic lights in our city. (Word count: 270)

Idea’s line

MI6
Quite home and sweet life
plant in central London
CCTV in underground
Map of London

Section 3: Project of Materials, methods and processes explored

I tried to use many different materials to developed this project. People in the contemporary society also have develop more angles to appreciate art, so artists also used various material to created their works and could give people bring different emotion. For example, Spencer Finch always use different material to created their own artworks, such as LED light, Print Card, wood… As for me, I would like use two or three different material together to make my work. In this project, when I bought pigment in art shops, I found print card which gave me a great idea to explored the colour composition on my sketchbook. I used them to explored some materials such as watercolour, acrylic, marker, and oil pastel, but finally, I decided to use acrylic and oil painting together to create this project.

Not only explored colour composition, but also texture in art I had to found. Sometimes, made some collages was my way to explored texture in art, and for this project I did that. However, I want to develop my way that I use that to explore my work, when I saw my friend cooked for his dinner who used his hand into bowl to maxed some vegetables. That way was inspired me to used my hand mixed the colour and then putted colour on the canvas to made their texture by nature. As this project, I tried to combined acrylic and oil painting together, and broken down the traditional rules in art.

(Word count: 261)

practice of colour
oil pastel
Practice of colour
Marker
Practice of colour
watercolour
Practice of colour and texture
Acrylic and Marker

Practice of colour and texture
Acrylic and Marker

Section 4: Daily Record

In my work, all of the requirement of each steps was defined in a detailed description in my blog. I think, it is a great way to remember my worktime. I used my own blog and sketchbook to remember my feeling about my project, and some knowledge and skills when I found and how to study. In the future, I will use the same way to learn and help me to do my project. Sometimes I use my sketchbook to drawing some sketch and even remember something in my daily life.

(Word count: 98)

sketch for exploration of lines and colour
Drawing on sketch
Drawing on sketch
studio working
studio working
studio working
studio working
studio working
studio working
SPY
100cm * 200cm
oil painting and acrylic
13-11-2017
Part 1 (SPY)
100CM * 100cm
oil painting and acrylic
13-11-2017
Part 2 (SPY)
100cm * 100cm
oli painting and acrylic
13-11-2017

Section 5: Time Management and Action Plan

Art comes from life, and higher than life. As this project, I made a very detailed and feasible action plan for my project. In the time management, I recorded all the steps of the creation in the plan, such as sketch time, read time, and sometimes in museum, galleries. In the future, I want to make more detail in my own action plan, and more precise and specific. I think, sometimes people make a great time management or action plan can help them to allocation of time. It is reason why I want to improve my action plan in the future.

(Word count: 109)

Timetable for term and subject

Plan for work

Section 6: Presentation

To be honest, I think, I should improve my speaking skills and how to build and originates the speaking which help people to understand my work easier. I believe myself, in the future, when I have a presentation, I can use a clear thinking to talk about my work.

(Word count: 52)

(Word count: 1163)